|homemade pizza on homemade multigrain flatbread, fresh basil and local mozzarella (garlande beckett)|
|homemade sourdough bread (daniel eltringham)|
|homemade veggie pizza with sesame-orange dressed mesclun, carrot, and slivered almond salad (caroline robb)|
|nemo (salmon) chowder (kelsey swalwell)|
My grandmother used to advise that every recipe could be improved substantially by simply doubling the required vegetables. But I've already done that here! This chowder is chock full of veggies with a nice rounded salmony finish. If you can only buy a few organic items, be sure the bell pepper is one of them (it seriously brightens the dish :)
2 tbs. oil or butter2 large leeks, white parts only, halved and sliced > 1/4 inch
2 small white onions, small dice
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
5 stalks celery, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
2 1/2 tbs. crushed garlic (amounts to about 5 or 6 large cloves)
lots of fresh black pepper
2 medium (about 12 oz each) Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tbs. fresh thyme, chopped
1 can Bar Harbor fish stock
1/2 c. white wine (here I used 2 tbs. mirin and 3 tbs. tarragon vinegar)
1 cup water as needed
3 tbs. flour
2 1/2 cups milk (at room temp!)
2 small cans 2% evaporated milk
12 oz. smoked salmon, crumbled in small chunks and rubbed down with…
healthy pinches of alder wood Salish!
2 tbs. fresh dill, chopped
shredded parmesan for topping
1. Sweat leeks, onions, pepper, celery, carrots, and garlic in large pot with oil until soft, season with pepper.
2. Add thyme, potatoes, fish stock, wine, and water (make sure everything is adequately submerged, but don't add too much liquid!), bring to boil and then reduce heat, simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes reach desired doneness.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk flour with 1/2 milk to thicken, then add to pot while stirring, simmer 1 to minutes until thickening is observed
4. Slowly incorporate remaining milks while stirring, heat thoroughly.
5. Stir in dill and salmon. optional: top with parm
6. nom nom nom
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the latest updates on events, meetings, and more!